Tascam Ceases Giga Development as of July 21; Sales And Support End December 31

By • July 22, 2008

TASCAM Marketing Manager Jeff Laity confirmed today on an industry news site that Tascam has ceased development of GIGASTUDIO and GIGASTUDIO related products as of July 21. Sales and support for the products will continue through December 31, 2008.

A post today on the VI-Control.net forum said:

Notice: TEAC America, Inc. will cease further development of GIGASTUDIO and GIGASTUDIO related products as of July 21, 2008. Product sales and technical support will continue through the end of the year. “

In the same thread, this posting was confirmed by TASCAM Marketing Manager Jeff Laity who said that GigaStudio 4 had been moved to the discontinued section of the website. On the main Giga page, only one ad remains for Larry Seyer’s Power Kits. The rest of the page is barren.

Comments

By Richard Zeier on July 22nd, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Sorry to hear, but not surprised. I have been a GigaStudio user since the first Nemesys GigaSampler and mostly loved the product. However, I was never tempted to upgrade from G3 to G4, having already lost confidence in the support structure. I was hired 2 years ago to program a drum library in GigaStudio, but moved the project to Kontakt 2 at the request of the developer due to market trends. The writing was already on the wall. We will miss you.

By Chris Alpiar on July 22nd, 2008 at 5:10 pm

UGH!! So what does this mean for people like me that invested in GS4? GS4 still has so many bugs and problems, are there to be no 4.02 release? Are we just hosed? Is this lawsuit material to Tascam do you think? GS4 is CLOSE to being really truly amazing, except there are numerous bugs which are annoying to the point of being ridiculous for the daily professional use of this product. I also am not surprised having lived and changed very painfully through the GS3 release. But to release a product, take our money and then drop it… do you know if Tascam will be issuing refunds? Thanks for letting us know Peter

By Alex on July 22nd, 2008 at 6:04 pm

so close to amazing? I don’t think you’ll be getting your 4.02- and apparently GS was not performing anywhere near amazing. Time to switch your giga sounds to something else!!!

By Ron W on July 22nd, 2008 at 7:24 pm

What can you do. GS has fallen so far behind the competition and frankly Tascam is really a amateur company. GS was way out of their league.

Time to convert everything to Structure and Kontakt.

By Marinho Nobre on July 22nd, 2008 at 7:50 pm

Not a bit surprised. Many years ago Lexicon decided to put out a full rack space audio interface claiming future interaction with their own reverb units plus endless plug-ins. All down the drain. Whoever purchased it and let a couple of thousand $ of their hard earned money on it hit their heads right against the wall. It seems that now, history repeats itself… Gigasampler at first was the product of their own and very dedicated company. Only they got picked up by a company with no software experience what so ever. A company of big stature, but one who only new how to develop DA88′s and so on. One that out of greed, decided to impose the uncertain risks of their brand new development into something they weren’t even sure they could keep up with. I guess that makes us all think huh ? Buy software from the software guys and never take a chance on a big shot omnipotent wannabe amateur company. But do not take my word for, this will keep on happening… More stuff will be made under the pretension of a brand name and will end up as useless paper weights in the storage room of many composers and producers worldwide. This is one greedy world we all live in. I hope you all gather up and sue the crap out of them…

By Michael Stern on July 22nd, 2008 at 8:08 pm

Bearing in mind how reliant Film & TV composers are on the Gigastudio, this move by Tascam is both boggling and frightening to say the least!

By Peter Alexander on July 22nd, 2008 at 9:53 pm

Because of a couple of interesting phone calls and e-mails that came in to our offices today, I’m posting the following sources.

1. The quote citing that Giga was discontinued was posted on NorthernSounds.com by Mark Belbin, a developer for GS4 product, at 8:43AM PST on July 22.

2. The quote citing that Giga was discontinued was also posted on http://vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9940&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 at 9:34AM.

3. The story was posted on SonikMatter at 2:34PM. (http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php?s=83e41654f08bf4042f7c0131d6045a92&showtopic=40706&pid=245325&start=0&#entry245325)

4. At 9:45PM, the story was cited on O’Reilly Digital Media and the link in the story was set to Mr. Belbin’s thread on VI-Control.net. (http://forums.oreilly.com/content/Audio-Community/358/Tascam-Discontinues-Giga-Studio/)

5. At 5PM today, before releasing the story, I confirmed it with another Tascam developer who asked not to be identified.

6. In the VI-Control.net/forum thread, a Tascam employee twice confirmed in writing that the product line had been discontinued. We confirmed this in the story with a link to the Legacy page at Tascam showing that the entire Giga line was now discontinued. I also submitted a screenshot of the page which Film Music Magazine has not yet posted.

According to Mr. Belbin’s comments at Northern Sounds.com, he was beta testing GVI Mac and in his view, it was only 3 months away from release. Mr. Belbin went on to state that the decision to end GigaStudio was made by the top corporate officers, who Mr. Belbin described as not knowing “jack” about what was going on. Mr. Belbin further stated that 5 programmers had been let go.

The story was posted because it was confirmed by two developers (one in print, one by phone), and the signature of Tascam employee who posted twice in the same thread that Mr. Belbin’s posting was accurate and true.

Anyone associated with this story is free to LEAVE A COMMENT.

Peter Alexander

Peter Alexander

By bunnyfluffer on July 22nd, 2008 at 10:48 pm

well… once upon a time I was a studio vision pro user – and when they went down they took a lot of people with them. this was probably the single largest migration of mac music users to pro-tools, logic and cubase…

By Peter Alexander on July 23rd, 2008 at 7:31 am

Teac is publicly traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. It’s trading number is 6803.T. Here’s there stock performance.

Officers and directors

By Chris on July 23rd, 2008 at 7:44 am

Sad. I’ve used GS4 and was impressed, as everyone is, with the sound. And, was frustrated, as everyone is, with the usability (or lack thereof). I was going to buy GVI for my mac at home if/when it came out. So much for that.

By Earl on July 23rd, 2008 at 10:37 am

once upon a time there was a fantastic product called gigasampler. It was the best thing since sliced bread. Then one day, Tascam bought it and tried to turn it into something it was not intended to be – a recording platform. The product was called gigastudio, and it was the worst thing since sliced bread. Fortunately I am now on a low carb diet and have given up bread – and gigastudio.

By Brian Mendelsohn on July 23rd, 2008 at 2:20 pm

I’ve found that porting my libraries (roland, sample cell, akai, and giga) to Kontakt was pretty painless and SO worthwhile – - – Kontakt is the sampler i’ve been dreaming of since i got a synclavier in ’84 – you can’t expect every piece of software you buy to be around forever – but while it’s true that the writing’s been on the wall for some time regarding Giga’s future demise, I know many composers who’s rigs contain multiple computers running Giga, and even though development and support will end soon, that doesn’t mean everyone needs to replace their software immediately – - – i’m sure many of us are still getting daily use out of many outdated pieces of hardware and software.

By Chris Alpiar on July 23rd, 2008 at 4:39 pm

I have the VSL Full Pro edition and while I upgraded a small piece of it to Vienna Instruments (just the Special Edition extended) I cannot afford the 15,000 or so to upgrade it all. Is there any way to take samples I had from VSL for GS2.5 later converted to GS3 format and have them work well in Kontakt? Maybe I just need to buy altiverb and be done with GS once and for all (*cries at the new x64 machines he built for GS4 that never worked fully – waiting on GS4.02!)

By Lubo Astinov on July 23rd, 2008 at 6:25 pm

This is very disappointing. I have been a Gigastudio user since Nemesis first released GigaSampler. And with the end of Giga 4 we are losing probably the best sampler ever created. 64 bit, VST hosting, 8 ports, wonderful bundled convolution reverb – GigaPulse, and much faster than anything else on the market – forget Kontakt, Structure, or Halion – none of them offer a set of features anywhere near that powerful.

It is baffling as to why the folks at TASCAM would make such a decision, but it may come down to something very simple – the wrong person making a very bad call.

Currently I’m using Giga 4 together with my VSL libraries (both VI and older). I love the product and I am deeply disappointed to hear that development on this wonderful package is stopped.

By Bobby Chastain on July 25th, 2008 at 10:28 am

This is a low blow.

My guess is that Tascam is suffering with the rest of the economy. Hobbyists were weeded out of the list of digital audio consumers thus decreasing sales. Perhaps even professionals are spending less on upgrades to counter soaring gas and food prices. When company share value crashes, Gigastudio, the choice of a small group of consumers, is an easy cut to make in order to decrease company spending.

We (the US) are estimated to spend $2 trillion on the Iraq War (Joseph Stiglitz, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11880954/page/2/), we have allowed the cost of basic consumer necessities to soar, and allowed the US dollar to collapse against every major form of currency. Consider Gigastudio a luxury – one of many that will dissapear with the country’s flamboyant spending.

By david on July 25th, 2008 at 11:41 am

a composer friend of mine stands to lose out because of the decision to end giga.

By necrogigaphiliac on July 26th, 2008 at 10:15 am

The writing was on the wall even before the Tascam acquisition. The first problem was no Mac version (even to this day!). The second thing was the trend away from stand alone samplers + third party libraries toward sample-player VIs. Kontakt came along and had both PC and Mac versions, plus it became a “player” shell for the stand alone VI movement (mostly driven by copy-protection considerations). Tascam tried to catch up, but never could get the Mac version happening, and by the time they got a “Player” engine, companies were now developing their own players (e.g., EWQL, Vienna, etc.).

It is sad, because I still think Giga is by far the best interface of any of the. Just a mixer to load samples and get work! R.I.P. my old friend.

By Rob on July 29th, 2008 at 2:00 am

The thing that really bothers me is that contrary to what many are saying, I don’t really feel that Gigastudio had “fallen behind” Kontakt and the other soft-samplers. For sheer, brute-force “load a bunch of samples and stream 5-6-700 voices”, nobody else came close. I frequently load 60+ instruments into GS3(including large patches like Sonic Implants’) and it does amazingly well. Kontakt will often start choking with under 16 instruments loaded. There’s no contest IMO. Yes it was buggy, and the other criticisms are valid, but there’s no way I could do what I do with GS with any other soft-sampler.

I’m hopeful that somebody will buy the software and continue to develop it. I had a bad feeling when Tascam bought it from Nemesys. The development and support went downhill fast. Ultimately Tascam is a hardware company and that’s all they really feel comfortable doing, I suspect. Maybe Nemesys people will start back up!

By samiame on July 29th, 2008 at 3:54 am

Wow, you think they would at least have the decency to sell it to another company.

By musician on October 16th, 2008 at 7:41 am

I have problems with Gigastudio 3 Orchestra and wonder if anyone can help!

all of a sudden I cannot run Gigastudio 3 Orchestra on my WinXP Pro PC, after updating my sound card (M-Audio Delta) drivers to a newer release (Delta_WDM_5.10.0.5051) with respect to that coming in the original driver CD (Delta_WDM_5.10.0.5036). Before my system worked just fine, although the driver had not received official testing for XP. Afterwards, I updated my Windows XP to SP2 and installed successfully an even newer release tested to work with WinXP SP2, as suggested by sound card tech support, but still Gigastudio does not start.

By lymansn on December 12th, 2008 at 7:11 pm

I have been a GigaStudio user from the early days when Nemesis developed the first release. GigaStudio was clearly the most powerful sampler in the world period. It saddens me to the point of rage that Tascam took such a brilliant product and ran it into the ground. Nemesis should have never sold Tascam the rights to the technology. It was vastly beyond their understanding to develop. Tascam is a company of leaches and wana-bees. They are always slightly behind the curve on everything. They have few products that are truly innovative. Their customer support is abysmal. I am surprised they are still in business. Native Instruments should buy the technology rights to Giga Studio and implement it into Kontakt

By Ric on January 3rd, 2009 at 5:45 am

This is truly a sad day. I made the journey from GS3 Orchestra to Kontact, Halion, and all the others, and finally arrived back at GS3. Its the only product with a clear interface. As a professional developer myself, the user interfaces on Kontact and Halion suck. Its really hard to work out how to do even the simplest things. As for importing giga files… I tried it in Halion and just got in a horrible mess.
Tascam’s support is lousy, and their stupid registration process drives me bats because it forces me to re-register every time I upgrade my machine, then complains that the product is already registered. I hope Tascam go bust but not before they sell Giga back to someone who knows about software. We a little TLC Giga could wipe Halion and Kontact off the map. I’d buy it myself if I had the money.

By Paul Drago on January 7th, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Do you know of someone who successfully got Gigastudio 4 64 bit to work with a gsif compatible sound card that can output either tdif or lightpipe or even firewire?
I installed giga 4 on Vista 64 bit and it runs. Now I install the latest and greatest 64 bit driver for the MOTU 424 card for the 2408 mk2 and Giga cannot find a compatible GSIF card.. The Device manager shows the 64 bit is loaded.
Same result in Windows 7
Same result in XP 64 bit.
I sent a help request to MOTU but still no answer. So I don’t know if the driver is bad or TASCAM never got Giga 64 bit really working..
And perhaps re-wire? What host application do I need to route Giga out and will I lose the speed and efficiency which makes it no better than XP32 on the same machine?

By Peter Alexander on January 8th, 2010 at 6:19 am

It costs about $25,000 to write a driver. GigaStudio is discontinued. So don’t expect audio driver updates to support it. Your best bet is to put your question up over at http://www.vi-control.net/forum where they have a GigaStudio support forum in which Tascam employees participate.

By Otto Hagmann on August 23rd, 2010 at 6:50 am

I can’t register my Giga Studio 3 even my folder What This .exe is in the right folder

can you help me