The HANNspree 22″ HF229H Monitor

By • October 5, 2008

Let’s face it, having a nice 22″ widescreen would be such a joy if only it was affordable. Right? Those Apple Cinema Displays are just the yums. But the price!-

Yi! Yi! Yi!

$599 for a 20″ screen and a mere $899 for a 22″ screen. In the words of Robert B. Parker’s Spenser for Hire, “Yipes!”

So, what’s a composer to do who wants a sleek widescreen cinema monitor that’s not ridiculously priced? Get a HANNspree at Best Buy for a lot less.

Checking around, I found the HANNspree HF229H 22″ at Best Buy for $249. At this writing, it’s on sale for $199.

The cool thing about this monitor, of course, is the price. But another cool thing is how good videos, including Blu-Ray disc videos look with it, too. Not to be snarky, but given the poor royalties we composers get from our work being broadcast on cable, this could be our best revenge by canceling cable, keeping the Internet, and with your new HANNspree, go to Fancast.com or HULU.com and watch all your favorite shows, and some movies, for free. In widescreen! For under $200 (at least this week).

If graphics are important to you, good news. Photoshop and other users have given this HANNspree great reviews. I checked it out for video by watching The Day After Tomorrow on a Mac G5. It was very impressive and the special effects came out great.

I checked around. There’s a HANNspree outlet store in Beverly Hills (really?). Or you can just check them out at Best Buy for a lot less.

But even better deals can be had on Amazon.com. For example, on the 28″ HANNspree widescreen monitor which normally retails at $806.95, you can get it from Amazon for $479.71.

In fact, Amazon’s HANNspree catalog is much deeper than Best Buy’s.

Overall, this is a killer deal for a great monitor. So if you need one, consider the HANNspree since it works with both Mac and PC.

Comments

By Vivian Khor on October 7th, 2008 at 10:25 am

This is amazing. I’ve been looking around for good monitors. Have you seen the Samsung 226BW. I have one of these. I wonder how it compares with the HANNspree.

By John on October 15th, 2008 at 11:40 am

The Acer AL2216W 22″ widescreen was recently $199 from NewEgg. We use a number of them. Excellent in every respect, and a giant, solid company.

By Kyle Wittlin on October 16th, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Great find! I’ve been needing a new monitor for a while but was putting it off due to the price of a Mac one. I’m checking this HANNspree one out immediately. Thank you.

By karel on October 18th, 2008 at 1:28 am

you know the captavia 22inch?

By Rob on January 11th, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Will this monitor work with a Mac Mini? Do you need an adapter? Will it get good quality images? I haven’t bought a Mac yet and was interested in doing so to get into the world of Pro Tools. I’m concerned, though, that I’ll have to buy a ridiculously expensive monitor. I already own this one but don’t know if it’s compatible with the Mac Mini. Also, I don’t have the kind of money required to spend on any of the other Macs.

By Tiger on March 29th, 2009 at 11:22 am

I fully agree with your statement because I bought this monitor at Best Buy a month ago for $230 to be able to use it for DJ performance.I am now using Traktor Scratch Pro so I needed a monitor that supports HDMI.It was the only one that offers that feature under $300.I was surprised when I hooked up my custom made laptop by Ibuypower with an NVIDIA GEFORCE 9600M GT on it.I went to Fancast to watch the Inside Special Forces documentaries and I selected better resolution screen 480p.Oh my Gosh….The picture was so brilliant until I believed that I was watching a Blu Ray disc.I give it 4****.

By vatch on July 20th, 2010 at 10:20 am