Macedonian Orchestra Offers Remote Buyout Film/TV Recording Sessions

Film Music Magazine • February 24, 2009

The Macedonian Radio Symphony Orchestra in Skopje, Macedonia is now offering buyout remote recording sessions for film/TV and other projects over the internet where US composers can link to their studio and oversee recording sessions with the orchestra.

The orchestra features up to 90 musicians, expandable to over 130 musicians including folk and ethnic instrumentalists, plus access to choirs, copying service with Finale and Sibelius, and Source Connect technology allowing the studio to be tied directly to a composer’s home or project studio via the Internet with audio and visual links. The orchestra joins a growing list of orchestras worldwide that are utilizing Source Connect and other technology in order to market themselves directly to composers worldwide.

The studio complex used by the orchestra incorporate three separate recording studios of varying sizes and audio configurations.

For more information, visit http://www.fames-project.com

Comments

By Brian on February 24th, 2009 at 7:42 am

Great, and it’s nearly from my home Germany! The Studio is funtastic and i think it will be very cheap to recording my samples in Macedonia.

By Ann on February 24th, 2009 at 9:15 am

Yet again….. doesn’t it break anyone else’s heart to see so much work going abroad because it’s cheaper. And what about the quality of the playing? And what about all our USA, UK, French, German etc etc musician’s that are struggling with little or no work because session work is all going to musician’s that are paid a fraction of the cost? In the UK now even touring orchestra’s are being brought over here from Latvia to accompany the likes of Rod Stewart and Katheryn Jenkins…. while our superb session musicians are stacking shelves in Sainsbury’s to feed their families!

….and this is progress.

By ruf on February 24th, 2009 at 9:27 am

This is only price competition. It doesn’t offer anything special. I hate this businesses they bring nothing extraordinary, just cheap, cheap, cheap… This will end one day, anyway.

By Marwain on February 24th, 2009 at 9:32 am

I doubt that there would be a problem for good orchestras with good name in cheap competition. E.g. London Symphony Orchestra (IMHO one of the best in the world) won’t have a problem with some Macedonian Radio Orchestra, because world-known composers will use rather London one than some cheaper. It still depends on the quality of the orchestra, with high-budget movies the price is meaningless.

By Composer on February 24th, 2009 at 10:19 am

In fact, you’re wrong about that. While many big budget films and video games are still scored by the leading orchestras of the world, as well as the ‘best in the world’ LA session players, increasingly even big name composers on medium to larger budgeted films are forced to accept ‘package’ deals and/or to record the scores abroad. The Hollywood studios and the game producers are tightening their belts these days and guess where they, again, look first for saving some $$$…big surprise, the music budgets! We’re an easy target since composers, especially, and musicians as well have the most inadequate, self defeating, no-existing or in-fighting, all depending, representation and protection from being tossed around and terms-directed by the major entertainment companies…

By gdw3 on February 24th, 2009 at 11:43 am

…not to mention, lack of a union.

Plus, lots of filmmakers like the buy-out. Easier, cheaper. And they get to keep all money made from any future use of the music, i.e. soundtracks, concerts, etc.

By Jesse Hopkins on February 24th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

On large budget projects, studios should pay for the best musicians they can afford. I have mixed feelings about buyouts being used on medium budget stuff, but on low budget, I fully support the less expensive buyout orchestras. After all, it is better to pay real musicians than to use a synth for all low budget projects. I would like to know the working conditions of these orchestras. Mandatory overtime, no vacation and bad treatment would always turn me off.

By Steve Salani on February 24th, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Be careful with new orchestras claiming to be the best new thing for film scoring. Orchestra.Net has been producing orchestra sessions for a decade in Prague, which has one of the largest and most qualified pools of professional musicians in the world. Contact us for a credit list which includes multiple Grammy-nominated CD projects.

By Charles Denler on February 24th, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Okay – here is a question for all of my composer friends. I think we all know that trying to form our own union would be fruitless. Directors would simply opt for stock music, or cheap, to free composers. BUT, here’s a thought…what if we could join an existing union? Most people consider the score to be a narrative, another actor if you will. I wonder if it would be possible to connect with SAG? Yes, I said SAG. This way, when a union shoot is put in place, the composers will also have to be union. We would have someone fighting for us… Shoot, we might even get health care!

Thoughts?

By bob gratford on February 24th, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I heard they work for Universal and Columbia picture’s,so i don’t think they are bad as you say,and they have the new duality SSL console,i would like to hear some of the project’s maked there.keep going you’re great proffesional job.RESPECT Bob Gratford

By Boris on February 28th, 2009 at 7:11 am

I check the fames web site and i’m very interesting to record my next project with Macedonian orchestra. Everything is perfect: studios, all tehnic and i want to hear some reviews from the composers who recorded some samples with Macedonian orchestra.

By Ann on March 3rd, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Please don’t misunderstand my mixed feelings about the this advertised buy-out. I have been a professional musician all my adult life and for an orchestra to be put into the position of accepting buy-outs for film and library sessions is a huge advantage for all the players….. Nor am I a nationalistic zealot, having also lived my entire adult life in a foreign country….. Nor do I think that the Macedonian orchestra is anything but totally professional…

My real gripe lies with the accountants that take all the “muscle” out of the composer’s choice as to what they feel is the best for their music. If Boris would like to do his next project with them, I (and all of them, undoubtably) will be extremely pleased! All I’m saying is that for every Universal and Columbia picture they (the cheaper buy-outs) do, I would stake my life on the fact that it is the “money” people that have reccommended them and not neccessarily the composer, who might have preferred their friends that live down the road and have worked in the Hollywood studios or Abbey Road forever and are now terribly worried about their futures because their cost of living is higher than Macedonia….

You can bet that the accountants holding the power aren’t losing their livlihoods to Macedonian accountants……

Roll on Union support, although it’s not been much help here in the UK…..

By Kristijan on March 27th, 2009 at 2:09 am

Lot of people are complaining here, but on a wrong address. These “cheap” musicians are just as good as any other in the World. The top recording technology is available globally. My concern as Macedonian musician is that we are plain underpaid. We should ask for more money. Instead of criticizing the musicians please criticize the people exploiting these musicians for their own financial benefit.

By Tony on April 2nd, 2009 at 7:23 am

In the UK there is continuing pressure to look elsewhere for orchestras, not so much individual session musicians though. If a producer says, “we want an orchestra, even if the budget is ultra low, the option is out there. Why can’t some clever individual come up with a similar idea over here?

Sure, the fees are going to be higher compared to these European companies Macedonian Orch., but if they were able to entice composers in with other benefits like a package deal, online sessions similar to what’s already being offerd, this will create more work for studio orchestras in general.
Work is better than no work!

By Philippe d'Aram on September 14th, 2009 at 9:34 am

I want to receive your News Letter, for to know many information about Film Music
Best regards
Philippe

By Nick Goins on August 11th, 2014 at 8:39 am

To see this going on puts me in a compromising position. Music and the people who create it is an invaluable piece of the filmmaking puzzled. It’s frankly one of my favorite pieces, however, I am torn between the relative inexpensiveness putting REAL classical instrumentation at a place that can be utilized for me and indie production and wanting these musicians to get fairly compensated for their work. On my shows I would rather eat crap than low-ball hard working people. Ah me…