EastWest Updates Release Schedule

By • March 12, 2010

The following was posted by Doug Rogers:

We know many would appreciate an update as to various projects that are in development, so here is an interim report –

PLAY software
The last official release was May last year with a Windows 7 update in October. Since this release, which works well for most users, we have been optimizing the engine to obtain more efficiency, fixing bugs reported to us, adding support for the new operating systems and host updates and upgrades, and adding the most requested features. A PLAY update will be available soon. We are also releasing a new FAQ to help those with problems. This has been put together by tech support based on the most common issues reported. During the year we will increase the amount of supported hosts and add 64-bit MAC support (we are currently being held up by PACE). There are new reverb programs in the new version also. [Editor’s Note: Pace today only operates in a 32-bit environment]

PLAY PRO
This is still in development, it has an extensive feature set that will set it apart from the competition, and although most of the features are now integrated and working well, there are still bugs that need to be removed. We anticipate a Q2 release (subject to change), and we will release a free public beta to registered PLAY users for one month to catch any remaining bugs and give you a free test drive. PLAY PRO will enable you to customize the PLAY instruments to suit your needs, plus a whole lot more.

HOLLYWOOD STRINGS
We are still refining and optimizing Hollywood Strings programs and the software. Concurrently we are doing extensive stress testing on multiple computer systems so we can provide a guide as to what to expect for different level systems. This is the most complex product we’ve ever made, nearly a million samples with complex scripting, and we need to make sure it’s working well before release. We have no doubt this will be an important composing tool for professional users for many years to come.

QUANTUM LEAP SPACES
Nick Phoenix is finishing the final programs for this reverb plug-in, that will have wider appeal than the virtual instrument market. I’ve heard the reverb programs, they are superb, and at the price point we are offering QLS we expect it to be very popular.

FORBIDDEN PLANET
This product has been held up pending the new features developed for PLAY PRO. Once PP is released FP should follow soon after. It is a revolutionary product that will enable each user to create their own custom patches.

SYMPHONIC CHOIRS
Many have been waiting for WordBuilder integration into PLAY. This is also dependent on the PLAY PRO development which includes a plug-in architecture. The Symphonic Choirs player will be upgraded, you won’t need PLAY PRO. We expect a Q3 release.

OTHER DEVELOPMENTS
We have other developments in progress we can’t disclose yet, but let’s just say 2010 will be a bonanza year for EW/QL and PLAY users.

We thank Doug Rogers for this information.

Comments

By Hequin O'Mas on March 16th, 2010 at 6:52 am

As to why they insist on keeping the official attitude of “PLAY works well for most users”, I’m baffled. Literally everyone knows that PLAY crashes all the time and is very unstable. If the really want to do their customers a favor, they should say “we know that PLAY crashes and is unstable for many customers, and we are working to solve the problems”. Because right now it looks like they are just burying their heads in the sand, and that doesn’t inspire trust that is vital so I should invest in PLAY in my own studio.

By Play hater on March 17th, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I agree with Hequin, PLAY is very unstable. I assume that East West “developed” PLAY so that they would not have to pay a license fee to Native Instruments for Kontakt. Well let’s hope that the owners of PLAY all got a nice new pool with the money they’ve saved! But in the meantime, their greed has turned me away from all EW products. They sound good, but I can’t get them to “play” on my system. I, for one, have completely stopped using PLAY because it does not work on Mac 64-bit systems.

By Titas on March 18th, 2010 at 10:13 am

When I opened this article, I hoped that PLAY will announce about their improvement on current applications. What is the point to buy new products when the current PLAY engine is not working and it is difficult to find out why. I hope they will address some of these issues in their next press-release and software update. We need their stable software before exploring new products.

By Chris on March 23rd, 2010 at 7:29 am

Play “works well” so long as you don’t run it inside DP, Rax, Logic etc. etc. Because if you do it doesn’t work so well. It also “works well” so long as you only ask it to play a couple of little things here and there when nothing else is wanting to access the hard drive(s). Otherwise it is glitch city. I don’t know if Doug listens to anything posted here but Play is really terrible in it’s current release-who knows or cares about the future. They really have some great samples that unfortunately are hiding inside the terrible software that is Play. I have not, nor will I , consider buying another EW thing until they prove that this thing is ready for Prime Time. It has caused many many many a headache in my studio. And even when it’s not crashing, it still doesn’t really “work”. And by “work” I mean “Play” nice with the host software and all of the other VI’s I have that do “work well” and know how to allocate system and disk resources without choking a mac that has plenty of power-except when Play comes in and mucks things up. It is the least capable, most memory hungry, most poorly written piece of “pro” software I have owned in recent years and I am done with it (and EW) until they get this thing up to snuff and can prove it.

By Bill Paturi on March 24th, 2010 at 11:14 am

Play is awful. Plain and simple. No composer I know (actual professional working composers) can use it regularly. It’s very buggy and EW appears to focus on creating new libraries instead of fixing their existing “PLAY” engine as the rest of the planet heads towards using Kontakt as the industry standard.

By Justin on March 25th, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with the above posts. For the time being, I’m stuck with my EW orchestra, but I will be gradually phasing it out of my studio as I take my future business to other companies like Cinesamples and Audiobro. Get your act together East West, and when you finally fix or improve PLAY, don’t you DARE charge us for it!!

By Max on April 21st, 2010 at 11:56 am

any news on when the snow leopard update will be released?

By Schittenhelm Christian on June 28th, 2010 at 12:57 am

When East West will update Play for mac 64 bit ?

By Angry Customer on July 25th, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Ditto for the all of the above comments. Great samples. Awful, awful, un-useable streaming engine. Doug just looks like a jerk with the smarmy smirk on his face.

I’ve spent thousands and thousands of dollars and PLAY JUST PLAIN SUCKS!!!!!!!

By Very Angry Customer on October 23rd, 2010 at 7:43 am

Ditto for me too. PLAY SUCKS!! I have had some issues with the standalone instruments, but can (just) get by… although have experienced major problems. Thats the good news!! When using in Cubase as a VST, it is massively unstable and prevents me from loading other VSTs, and sometimes crashes the system. I have purchased QL Pianos Gold, SD2, Symphonic Orchestra, Asian Silk and Goliath. Thats a lot of $$$ for software that doesn’t work and has since been uninstalled and superceded by better (ie WORKING) VSTs. Who owns EastWest?.. I want my money back!!

By Copland on July 1st, 2011 at 4:16 pm

i am very frustrated with East West. I was seriously considering purchasing Hollywood Strings, but have decided on LA Strings because of the stability of Kontakt 4. Unless PLAY gets much, much, better, I will look for my sample libraries elsewhere. Cinesample is making some great stuff and uses Kontakt!

By Play-er on August 9th, 2011 at 11:51 am

Guys –

Make sure you update to PLAY 3 (go to the SoundsOnline website). I’ve installed it and have none of these problems you describe. The interface is great and I love the easy access to all the patches in teh Browser.