I Am Now a Slave Owner

By • November 1, 2011

In my last column I explored the issues of whether a composer today only needs one computer or at least a second one, commonly referred to as a slave. I also discussed the pros and cons of a second Mac versus a PC or a “Hackintosh”.

Many readers told me they found it helpful in clarifying their personal needs. It also resulted in my re-evaluating my own needs.

Until a little over a year ago, I was quite content running the libraries of my choice on my now venerable 2.66 2006 Quad Core Mac, with 13 GB RAM, running off good quality 7200 drives. Sure, once in a while I had to bounce some software instruments to audio, but since I don’t get hired to do massive orchestral reproduction, it was not much of an issue.

Then came EastWest/Quantum Leap Hollywood Strings. For the first time I could NOT run as much as I wanted to of a library as I wanted to without bouncing to audio early and often. And then came Hollywood Brass. Now in the interests of full disclosure, I work part time as EastWest’s Online Coordinator, so I understand why some might be skeptical of this statement but the simple truth is, I fell in love. Like many other men of a certain age who fall in love, I was willing to go to some lengths to prove my love. Including considering acquiring and integrating a second computer.

My options were, as I discussed in my last column:
I could max out my RAM, but I would still be left with inadequate CPU power to do all I wanted, would be limited to how much of my other libraries I could run and the expense was disproportionate to the gain, as the older and slower RAM my machine uses actually is more expensive than some newer faster RAM. So I quickly eliminated that from my consideration.

I could sell my Mac and buy a newer and more powerful one with lots of RAM. This made little economic sense to me, as it was going to clearly be an expensive proposition and as my budgets of late have been, well, undistinguished, I simply could not justify it in my own mind. Also, even a new powerful Mac would still have a less powerful processor and SSD performance with SATA II would not be as robust as it is with SATA III and Macs do not yet have SATA III, although Thunderbolt may address this in the not too distant future.

Or for the first time in many years, I could seriously consider buying my first PC. I spoke to several friends about it and got very mixed responses. My diehard Mac only friends said things like, “Are you crazy? Do you know how many headaches you are letting yourself in for? Don’t go there!”

My PC only friends said, “Don’t listen to those crazy Mac guys, they have drank the Apple kool-aid. You’ll be very happy.”

My bi-platform friends said, “Both Macs and PCs, OSX and Windows 7, have pros and cons. If your PC has the right choice of components and is setup properly and maintained properly, it will be fine.” That sounded right to me.

As I researched, one thing quickly became clear: it was going to be a LOT less expensive and with better overall performance for running Play 3 64 bit based libraries like HS and HB inside Vienna Ensemble Pro’s 64 bit server with a PC than a Mac. So I swallowed hard, and made a mental commitment to going the PC route. I would of course continue to run Logic on my Mac with VE Pro hosting my Kontakt, Spectrasonics, Linplug, etc. libraries and the stock Logic instruments and FX on my Mac and run HS and HB on the PC from an SSD drive.

So now I became a colossal pain in the butt to my poor PC based friends, asking them repeatedly, “Having a PC builder build me an audio optimized PC is going to be more expense than I can justify, anywhere from $2400 on up. If I buy the right one and maybe swap out a few things, will a stock PC do? I found some terrific buys.”

The answers were varying degrees of a universal “maybe.” Most however, said they personally would not take the chance, as there were frequently cheap components in it that were not good for audio and that is why they were such a good buy. “Besides Jay, you can build it yourself!”

My response was something like, “When donkeys fly out of my butt!” I am a software guy whose bass player, the late Neal Lampert, used to have to patch my console/tape deck for me and while I have become better at this stuff, I was not about to go there because if I screwed it up, I was on my own. I had visions of spending $1,200-$1500 and producing a very high tech looking doorstop. So I decided that once I had ordered and received all the parts, I would find a local shop that would put it together for me properly for a moderate price. Which thankfully, I did.

So now, what did I need? I reached out to my friend, the very talented composer Jose’ Herring, who has made a kind of hobby of building PCs. I considered an AMD scenario and various iterations of Intel i7s, i5s, Sandy Bridge, etc. It was bewildering, daunting, and I changed my mind several times, at one point almost returning to the stock PC idea. I only knew that I knew I wanted it to be fast, stable, and have 24 GB of RAM.

But after what must of seemed to poor Jose’ like hundreds of emails and phone calls, not to mention all the other people I drove crazy with my inquiries, for app. $1300, I had all the parts I needed and with the assembly cost, it was a little under $1500. Being a good and patient shopper, I ended up with what I think is clearly a bargain.

Here is what I ended up with:
Intel Core i7-950 BX80601950 Processor – Quad Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 3.06 GHz (3.33 GHz Max Turbo), Socket B (LGA1366), 130W, Fan

MSI X58A-GD45 Intel X58 Socket B Motherboard – ATX, Socket B (LGA1366), Intel X58 Express, DDR3 2133MHz (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, SLI/CrossFire Ready

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650M High Performance 650W Power Supply

Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Mid Tower Case

Kingston KHX1600C9D3T1BK3/12GX HyperX T1 Desktop Memory Kit – 2x 12GB (3x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 9-9-9-27 CAS Latency, Unbuffered, Non-ECC, Intel XMP Ready

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT Operating System Software – OEM DVD SSD

Western Digital Caviar Black w/ 64 MB cache for my boot drive.

Gear Head 8x Triple Format DVD-RW/CD-RW Mobile Slim Drive

I brought the parts in to the shop and two days later, it was in my studio. Now all I had to install the software and learn how to use the blankety-blank thing. Installing and authorizing Vienna Ensemble Pro and Play 3 was a breeze, as VE Pro is tied to an E-licenser key and Play 3 to an iLok. It is fashionable to complain and curse at dongles, but let me tell you, it sure made this process easier for me.

Windows 7 is another story however. Supposedly it is the most “Mac OSX” like version of Windows, but there are a lot of things that if you do not know where they are to set and what to set them to, are far from intuitive and since I am trying to do more than simply surf the net, it is an issue. My friend Nick Batzdorf, the editor of Virtual Instruments magazine, came to my rescue and set up Remote Desktop so that I do not need an additional monitor, keyboard, or mouse, which is very cool. But as he is used to a different version of Windows, even he struggled and we both concluded that there are some really dumb things about Windows 7. (Yes, my PC friends, I know, there are some dumb things about Apple’s Snow Leopard and Lion as well.)

So Jay, what’s the verdict? Well, it is early days here and it has not yet been tested in the heat of battle. That will happen with my next project in mid-November. But here is what I have observed so far. A fairly good-sized Vienna Ensemble Pro template of Hollywood Strings and Hollywood Brass, including “powerful system” patches, loads up lickety-split from the SSD, way faster than it did from an SSD on my admittedly slower Mac. I was able to connect to Logic on my Mac with very little problems, thanks to the brilliance of the Vienna guys in how they designed VE Pro to connect by ethernet pretty darned seamlessly. I am able to play them with no significantly noticeable latency at a lower buffer than I could on my Mac alone and I could never have run the “powerful system” patches along with the other patches I have instantiated on my Mac alone. In short, so far I am delighted.

There are some kinks and I am sure more will be coming. I still cannot figure out how to copy from a drive on my Mac to a drive on my PC, only the public folder. I still know next to nothing about running Windows so if anything goes wrong, me, the guy who people call to help them troubleshoot Logic and their Macs, will no doubt look like an idiot trying to get help with Windows. As I start to use more and more HS and HB, or some other powerful libraries that come out that I fall in love with, which will inevitably happen because nature abhors a vacuum, I may need a second SSD and may find that I will want to connect to VE Pro with a second audio interface and MIDI software.

Still, at the end of the day at this given point in time, and yes, it could change when the next generation of MacPros come out, it seems to me that a well-designed, well built PC slave is an affordable and powerful tool that makes a lot of sense.

Provided that you have the right friends! 🙂

By Terry Jones on November 1st, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Coming from a PC background myself, and no experience with Apple hardware at all, I have to admit I can still understand where you are coming from when you talk about Windows being unintuitive sometimes. Your article definitely bought a smile to my face. 🙂

However, for those of us forced to make our music on a budget, the PC (especially if you can build your own) route is arguably still the most affordable way to get into the business. At the moment I’m having to make do with a relatively modest Intel quad core i5 @ 2.66Ghz, coupled to about 8GB of DDR3 RAM and a couple of 7200rpm HDD’s. This just about allows me to do some meaningful composition work using my East West Complete Composers Collection sound libraries, although like you previously experienced this can sometimes mean resorting a lot of audio bouncing 😉

I look forward to the day when I have so many sound libraries, that being able to consider and afford an upgrade to a slave system like the one you describe becomes a realistic proposition.

Thanks once again Jay, this was an entertaining read. 🙂

By Peter Alexander on November 1st, 2011 at 6:24 pm

For $30 more, I would have gotten the i7-960 at 3.2GHz. If the budget allowed, for about $200 more you could have gotten an i7-970 Six Core at 3.2GHz. Otherwise nice system.

By Antonio on November 1st, 2011 at 8:21 pm

This might be an obvious answer, but I wanted to know how does one run HS and HB off a 240GB SSD? I thought HS alone was 310GB. How do you have this set up Jay? Great article by the way!

By Elizabeth Rose on November 4th, 2011 at 2:27 am

Dear Mr. Asher:

While the technical info you present in this article may be valuable to most of your readers, IMHO, I think the title you’ve chosen is in poor taste. It certainly made me wince.

Elizabeth Rose

By Jay Asher on November 8th, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Jeez, Elizabeth, we have an African-American president, we have had an African-American Secretary of State and Secretary of Defense. I thought we were past all that.

Sorry, if you were offended, i thought it was funny and so did several African-American musician friends of mine who I ran it by before I chose it.

By Jay Asher on November 8th, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I am only using 2 mic positions on the SSD.

By RooFuss on November 14th, 2011 at 4:22 am

Great Article Jay. Got directed here from the Logic Pro Help forums.

How did your system perform in coping with your latest project? WOuld be really interested to hear about the results as I’m thinking of ditching my MacPro for an iMac doing the exact same thing with my old PC (2010).

By Jay Asher on November 14th, 2011 at 7:09 am

It hasn’t started yet but I can already see it will make a big difference as I am able to use so much more of Hollywood Strings and Hollywood Brass.

By Rick Handville on November 24th, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Jay, great article. One question, I never saw what audio interface you are using with your PC. And how are you syncing the Mac and PC (if at all)?
I’ve been thinking of doing the same thing but not sure about audio and sync.

By Jim on November 27th, 2011 at 6:43 am

Hi Jay,
I felt iike I wrote the article that you wrote !!…..As a long time Mac user , I can relate , and also went to a PC …..I had orignally wanted to do a Hackintosh, but after getting all the parts to do it , I saw the intense situation of setting it up ….Most all younger guys said it was no problem , but after being a Mac guy , it all looked Greek to me …..I too have to get acquainted with Windows ….. and the newer technology in general as I have been away from my studio/music for a while due to my son being in an auto accident leaving him brain injured …. He’s doing much better now and I am in a new world of technology … Thanks for the article …..I feel now like I”m not completely alone …..Sort of a “misery loves company ” scenario ……. Sincerely, Jim

By Jay Asher on November 28th, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Rick, I am not using an audio interface on the PC, just connecting by ethernet. VE Pro does the rest. no syncing involved.

I use Remote Desktop Connection for Mac to view and control the PC from the Mac with the same keyboard and mouse, I see my Mac drives on the PC and can copy to and from them, easy ax pie once the computer IDs and IP addresses are set up properly.

Jim, glad your son is recovering and that you can spend more time with this stuff.

By Matt on January 28th, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Hi, Jay

Now you have me all worked up on an revisiting the additional PC solution…! I have a couple questions, which I hope will shed some light on your setup:

1. Having spent some time with your new setup, how integrated is it into your setup? Granted that you are able to load up a much larger template with HS & HB, how do you find your overall creative flow impacted by the additional slave PC?

2. How are you monitoring audio from the PC? I’m not familiar with the Vienna setup, so I’m assuming that it’s accessing resources from the slave machine, like VST link or a Logic node…? If you have a audio interface connected, how are you syncing the two machines in the audio portion? Any latency to overcome?

Thanks for you time sharing your experience with this. And as a non-white person, your title was NOT offensive, just witty. It’s time that we RELAX on the whole political-correctness. Yeeeesh!

By Howard L. Salter on February 26th, 2012 at 4:02 am

Hi Jay,

This was a great article. I’ve been wrestling with this issue for a while and have been considering the difference between an upgraded PC and the Muse Receptor. They have used Generation I Receptors on eBay for $750 all the time. Does their Re-Wire technology compare adequately on the Play libraries with VE Pro because (2) or (3) of the Receptors can off-load my Komplete Library, and Ministry of Rock (MOR) favorites. I’d like to expand this year (Dark Side, Storm Drum, Gypsy, no strings yet…) and know I’m going to need more DSP but now I’m confused that going Muse Receptor may not be as adequate as the same $750 to $1000 /Ea. into a slave system. Help.

By Jay Asher on February 29th, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Howard, IMHO unless you really need the portability, a PC is a much better bang for the buck than a Receptor.

By Roy Winston on March 18th, 2012 at 2:01 am

Jay, many thanks fore your very helpful and informative posting. As a long time Mac and Logic user I am just considering the pc slave route. What concerns me is where the VEP with MIR is situated-on the Mac or Pc? I do have an 8 core Mac Pro with 32 Gig ram but MIR is so power-hungry I thought it might be best to have a very powerful PC handle it. Also, VEP with MIR handles all the latency which increases it quite a bit. Basically, I have bought Cubase but I prefer Logic which means staying with a Mac. Do you think that is the right route? best regards, Roy

By Jay Asher on March 30th, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I beta tested MIR Pro on my PC and it handled it fine. My Mac is not as powerful as yours but in your case I would say it should be installed however on the same VE Pro instance where your more dry libraries, like LASS and VSL, reside, because they are the ones that benefit most from it.

By Shawn Barnes on May 30th, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Great article! thank you so much for taking the time to to post it. I too am struggling with what to do. My libraries are growing by the day and I too am bouncing to audio far too quickly.

With your set up, now how many tracks are you able to load into a template?

Right now, I can maybe stretch a session to 30-40 tracks depending on the patches. So by buying a slave, how many more tracks would that give me? I know that’s a broad question because it depends on the capabilities of your comp etc… But hypothetically speaking, if I went out and purchased your computer tomorrow, how many tracks would I be able to have in a template?

By Jay Asher on June 24th, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Wayyyyyy more than that but track count IMHO is less relevant than how many GBs of samples you can load, especially with today’s big , RAM hungry libraries.

Between my iMac with 32 GB and my PC with 24 GB I can load a lot. And in the future I may upgrade my PC to a processor/motherboard tandem that lets me do 64 GB.