Film and Television Music Knowledgebase Home

Glossary of Film and TV Music Terms | Favorites | Contact Us With a Question
Film and Television Music Knowledgebase Home

Film Music Magazine Home | Film Music Network Home | Film Music Institute Home | Film Music Radio Home | Glossary of Film and TV Music Terms | Contact Us With a Question
Search the Knowledgebase Browse by Category
What professional level education is available?
Professional education (designed for people already working in the business)is offered by schools and educational companies in several major cities.

The Film Music Institute in Los Angeles offers seminars about the industry (see including specific courses for composing, orchestrating, and other film music related areas. In Los Angeles, there are also film music programs at USC and UCLA Extension, and a few colleges across the US are now offering film scoring programs or classes including Berklee College of Music in Boston, North Carolina School for the Arts, and others.

Also, check out engineering and recording schools, which often include courses in Pro Tools, audio engineering, mixing, and other technology and audio related courses.

Community Colleges also offer some music and film related courses.

In any professional or college level training course, it's important to know the qualifications and experience of the instructor(s). Make sure you're learning current information, preferably taught by instructors with current or recent real-world work experience. Things have changed radically in the last 15 years in the industry, and it's vital that whatever education you choose is current and inclusive of today's working methods and technology in film music.

Related Articles
No related articles were found.
No attachments were found.

A Service of Film Music Magazine