Film and Television Music Knowledgebase Home

Glossary of Film and TV Music Terms | Favorites | Contact Us With a Question
Film and Television Music Knowledgebase Home

Film Music Magazine Home | Film Music Network Home | Film Music Institute Home | Film Music Radio Home | Glossary of Film and TV Music Terms | Contact Us With a Question
Search the Knowledgebase Browse by Category
Where can I find examples of music licenses such as sync and master licenses?

Click on an attachment below to view our sample film & television music licenses. These documents are provided as samples for your reference, and are designed as "starter" documents to provide a basis or sample for creating your own documents. It is always advisable to consult an entertainment attorney when creating or working with music contracts and agreements.

In order to license a musical work for usage in film or television, generally both the right to use the music itself (the "sync" right, usually granted by music publishers) and the right to use the particular sound recording you intend to use (the "master" right, usually granted by record companies) must be obtained. There are some rare exceptions to this rule (such as  the "videotape" rule in the U.S. and instances where music is accidentally picked up in the audio of another usage, such as during an on-location newscast) but most uses of music as part of a film or television production require licenses from the owners of the music and the sound recording.

If you intend to re-record the music and create your own recording (which you will then own and control), the master license is not necessary. However, if you intend to use an existing recording of a musical work, it's important to remember that you must obtain both a sync and master license in order to legally use that work. 

Related Articles
No related articles were found.

A Service of Film Music Magazine